The root chakra starts at the base of the spine. This chakra is where our serpent friend the Kundalini begins her journey. From here, she coils her way up the sushmuna (the staff if you remember correctly) through each chakra, until she reaches the top, the crown chakra, in which “enlightenment” occurs. Ooomm…..
It is at the root chakra that we deal with the most basic needs of human survival: shelter and protection. In modern times, however, this sense of protection can also manifest as financial worries (like stressing that you won’t pay your bills) or physical attachment to materialistic things.
As a quick reference guide, I’ve listed the basic description of the the root chakra as well as the physical, mental and emotional ailments of each, along with healing modalities.
Root Chakra Descriptions
Sanskrit name: Muladhara, meaning root or support
Location: Between the anus and the genitals
Associated color: Red
Main Issues: Survival/Physical needs like security and shelter
Endocrine Gland: Adrenals
Body parts: Bones, skeletal structure
Astrological sign: Capricorn
Physical ailments: Osteoarthritis
Emotional dysfunctions: Mental lethargy, incapable of finding inner stillness
When the root chakra is too open, or spins too fast, we can become overly concerned with materialism, and self-centered.
When the root chakra is blocked, or sluggish, we can become emotionally needy, self-destructive and fearful.
When the root chakra is balanced, we are healthy, grounded and have a shit load of energy.
Root Chakra Healing Modalities
Fragrances: Cedarwood, Myrrh, Patchouli
- I take responsibility for my life. Translation: I don’t blame other people or circumstances for my problems.
- I deserve the best that life has to offer. Translation: I’m da’ shit.
- I connect to Mother Earth and am one with her. Translation: I hug trees when I can and walk barefoot in the park.
Self Reflection Questions:
- How can you can you improve your financial well-being? Where can you cut down on your spending?
- What have you done today to honor your body?
- How can you re-connect with lost relationships in your life?
Root Chakra Movement Therapy
The following video is a great pilates exercise called the hip roll that can be used to bring energy back to your root chakra. You can do this whenever you are feeling stressed, during your warm-up in a workout, in the morning, or right before you go to bed.